Network Device Enrollment Service (NDES) requests two certificates according the following two certificate templates configured with the “Intended purpose” (Enhanced Key Usages) set to “Certificate Request Agent”:
- CEP Encryption.
- Exchange Enrollment Agent (Offline request).
To renew CEP certificate do the following:
- Open MMC console and add certificates snap-in
- Browse to the CEP certificate located in Personal certificates container
- Right click and select All Task -> Advanced -> Renew
- Follow the workflow using the CEP encryption template
To renew Exchange Enrollment Agent certificate:
Create a file named Request.inf with the following contents
[Version] Signature="$Windows NT$" [NewRequest] RenewalCert="<Certificate Hash>" MachineKeySet=TRUE
You can get the Exchange Enrollment Agent (Offline request) certificate’s certificate hash by copying the value of the certifiate’s “thumbprint” extension retriveved from certificate’s “Details tab”.
Note: MachineKeySet set to “True” so the certificate and its private key will be stored in computer certificate store.
- Run the following 3 commands to renew that old Enrollment Agent certificate:
- CertReq.exe -New Request.inf Certnew.req
- CertReq.exe -Submit Certnew.req Certnew.cer
- CertReq.exe -Accept Certnew.cer